2011 Cold Creek Vineyard Cabernet Franc
We make this wine exclusively for our Vintage Reserve Club because we have just a very small patch of Cabernet Franc vines with which to work. They’re entering the period that we call “old vines.” One of the best things about old vines is the quality of concentration and intensity that you get in your tannins; and that only comes with vine age. With the cooler 2011 vintage, we have a depth and richness from the old vine character, expressed in a very elegant, subtle way. It’s a remarkable wine.
2011 Artist Series Meritage
2011 was slightly colder than the previous cold record of 2010. Climate changes present new challenges to winemaking but something like this allows us to get what we call very good “hang time.” We were very patient winemakers in 2011, waiting for the grapes, even until early November, to get their true ripeness. We found the most elegant and balanced wines came from our own estate fruit up at Cold Creek Vineyard. We also discoverd a grower vineyard in the Horse Heaven Hills AVA called Zephyr Ridge whose grapes provided a balance of tannins, ripeness and luscious flavors. The blend results in a perfect wine; elegant, light, and very fresh.
Meet Your New Club Supervisor: David Blue
Having had the opportunity to work in the wine industry since 2005, David graduated with honors in 2011 from Whitworth University in Spokane, WA with a degree in Business Management and a minor in Communications. His family owns a small, boutique winery in Woodinville where he learned about the industry and developed his love for wine.
Many of you who visit the winery will recognize him. David has worked as a Guest Services Representative for over 2 years and is thrilled for this new opportunity. One of the most gratifying aspects of his time here has been meeting and building relationships with club members. He looks forward to implementing new, innovative ideas regarding events, the clubroom, enhancing the loyalty program and helping maximize the Vintage Reserve Club experience.
Club Member Benefits
If you do not currently have a club card, please contact our concierge. Call (425) 415-3366 for assistance.
A reminder of your Vintage Reserve Club benefits:
- 20% off current club selections and re-orders.
- 20% off most Chateau Ste. Michelle wines in our Wine Shop or online. This discount excludes sample cases and Eroica Single Berry Select.
- Special opportunities to purchase exclusive releases.
- Complimentary tastings for two at the Chateau (you plus a guest). Additional guests of member will be charged the tasting fee. (Ultimate Tasting and Pairings Tasting are not part of this benefit).
- Library Pairings and Col Solare Bottega Tastings will be offered at a special VRC tasting fee of $15.
- Advance notice and special pricing on winery events, including winemaker dinners and a pre-sale purchase opportunity for our Summer Concert Series.
- Seasonal updates featuring new releases, harvest news and upcoming events.
- Dedicated Concierge service to help you with purchases, event information and information about our wines.
- Subscription to the Chateau Ste. Michelle electronic newsletter, which includes insider information, scrumptious recipes with suggested wine pairings, and notes from our winemaker about each release.
- Access to exclusive Vintage Reserve Club events.
Test Your Wine Savvy
Would you classify your level of wine knowledge as Oenologist, Sommelier, or simply Wine Enthusiast? Try answering these trivia questions and check your answers at the bottom of this email:
- What are the two most widely grown red grape varieties in Washington State?
- True or False: Tannins are available to the winemaker only from the grape.
- What is the largest AVA (American Viticultural Area) in the state of Washington?
- Which Rieslings produced by Chateau Ste. Michelle are a collaboration with famous winemaker Ernst Loosen from the Mosel region of Germany?
(Scroll to bottom for answers.)
2012 Eroica Gold Riesling, Columbia Valley
90 pts - Wine Spectator (April 2014)
This white is frankly sweet, with flavors of apricot and pear playing against hints of paprika and white pepper, lingering softly on the deft finish.
Chateau Ste. Michelle Winery
Top Value Brand of the Year - Wine & Spirits (June 2014)
2011 Syrah, Columbia Valley
89 pts & “Top 100 Values of the Year” - Wine Enthusiast (June 2014)
2012 Riesling, Columbia Valley
88 pts & “Top 100 Values of the Year” - Wine Enthusiast (June 2014)
We allow you 6 months from your release date to pick up your wine; we simply do not have the space to hold previous club selections.
Therefore, we ask that you abide by this policy and come see us in this time frame. If you are unable to visit us within the 6 month time frame, please call our concierge at 1-800-866-6276.
If you do not contact us after the 6 months, we donate your wine to our Charitable Contributions Program.
1. Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot 2. False: Tannins come from the oak barrels as well.
3. The Columbia Valley AVA 4. Eroica